Do I need renter's insurance to rent with Alcove? What are the steps?

Alcove requires certain coverages, and strongly recommends Loss of Use add-ons.

Yes, all tenants are required to obtain renters insurance for the entirety of their lease. The requirements can be found on pages 18-19 of the lease agreement and are listed below.

Required Coverage:

1. Name the landlord as an additional insured party (for legacy homes, Alcove should be listed as the additional insured party instead. Please ensure you check your lease agreement to see who the correct landlord party is). If needed, the landlord's address should be provided on page 20 of your lease agreement.

2. Coverage of tenant's personal property

3. Bodily injury and property damage coverage of up to $100,000

Recommended Coverage:
Loss of Use: Alcove recommends that all tenants ensure their renter's insurance policy includes coverage for Loss of Use. Loss of use coverage pays for additional living expenses you incur if your home is not suitable to live in due to a covered loss. It's important to note that loss of use covers the excess of what you normally spend for certain things. For instance, let's say your home is damaged by fire. You're unable to use your kitchen to cook, so you've been eating your meals at a restaurant. Your tab at the restaurant was $600 for the week, but you normally spend $300 weekly for groceries. Loss of use coverage will pay out the difference of $300. Loss of use coverage will also cover temporary stays at hotels or other lodgings should you need alternate accommodation if your home becomes uninhabitable due to fire/flood damage etc. 

What does the lease state?

(a) Personal Property Insurance:

"Tenant shall be required to obtain and maintain throughout the term of the tenancy a renter’s insurance policy, which policy shall, without cost to Landlord, name Landlord as an additional insured, and to promptly provide Landlord evidence of such insurance upon Landlord’s request. In addition to coverage for damage or loss to Tenant's personal property in such amount as Tenant may determine, the policy shall include coverage for bodily injury and property damage for which Tenant may be liable in the amount of $100,000"

Relocation, Renewals and Room swtiches

Note: If a tenant renews their lease or moves to another Alcove property, an updated renter's insurance policy needs to be submitted confirming the new lease's dates and address.

How can I upload my renters insurance? 

Tenants must upload their entire insurance policy to their Alcove portal before moving into their home. This can be done directly from your Alcove Portal.

If you have any issues uploading your insurance to your portal, you can email a copy of your policy to