Plan ahead and stay safe
Helpful tips are provided below for tenants to prepare themselves and their home in case of any serious weather conditions.
- Locate your home's breaker box in case of a power outage. To check power outages in your area, please go to your power company's website (Duke Power for all homes in NC and Georgia Power for GA)
- Fuel up your vehicles and charge all electronics. Serious weather (hurricanes, freezing rain, floods, etc) can affect the pipelines and the ability to deliver gas across the nation in severe cases.
- Assemble a disaster supplies kit or keep emergency supplies on hand, including batteries, flashlights, bottled water, blankets, extra pet food etc.
- Secure any outdoor items (furniture, plants, etc) to minimize the risk of them being scattered or damaged in high winds, rain, etc.
- Review your renter's insurance policy in the rare case of damage occurring. All Alcove tenants are required to have renter's insurance for the duration of their lease. Requirements can be found on our FAQ page here.
- Avoid driving through floodwaters at all costs. Turn around, don't drown!
- If your home sustains any damage during severe weather, please document with photos and/or videos and submit a support ticket in your Alcove portal here so the support team can review it and share with your property manager.